Product News and Recalls

Stevens-Johnson syndrome victim awarded $109 million in Massachusetts

The Boston Globe reports that health care giant Johnson & Johnson must pay a Massachusetts teenager and her parents $109 million over claims that the pain reliever Motrin triggered a life-threatening bout of Stevens-Johnson Syndrome, a court ruled.

Stevens Johnson syndrome, which can cause the top layer of skin to shed and die, is usually an allergic reaction in response to medication, infection or illness.

The story says Samantha Reckis was 7 when her parents began giving her Motrin brand ibuprofen to reduce a fever.

The resulting condition, called toxic epidermal necrolysis, inflamed her throat, mouth, eyes, esophagus, intestinal tract, respiratory system and reproductive system. Doctors had to put her in a coma in order to treat her, the story says.

She ended up losing 90 percent of her skin, and her eyesight. She also suffered brain damage that manifests itself as short-term memory loss, and damage to her respiratory system that left her with 20 percent lung capacity.

During the five-week trial, lawyers for Samantha and her parents alleged that Johnson & Johnson failed to warn consumers that the drug could cause life-threatening reactions.

The story notes that a Pennsylvania girl who suffered Stevens Johnson Syndrome after taking Motrin was awarded $10 million in 2011. That girl lost 84 percent of her skin, suffered brain damage and went blind.

If you or a loved one have suffered from the condition, you should consult with a Stevens-Johnson Syndrome attorney at Lopez McHugh to evaluate whether you have a claim.

See the story here:

http://www.boston.com/business/news/2013/02/13/mass-girl-parents-awarded-motrin-lawsuit/9dHJac9YzY9qKwtyIxecuM/story.html